Housing and Finances
To learn more about getting help with housing and your personal finances, please see the information below.
For free tax preparation assistance, view or download the chart below to find the Pennsylvania agency in the most convenient location for you:
This information is made available by AARP Tax-Aide, the IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly Program (TCE).
For other forms of financial and housing assistance, see the categories below:
- ACTION-Housing, Inc. provides assistance to homelessness individuals in Western Pennsylvania. They also help with home modifications to accommodate disabilities, provide matching funds for family savings programs and educate first-time home buyers about loans and credit.
- Tabor Community Services serves Lancaster County in Pennsylvania with assistance in finding housing and managing personal finances and credit.
- Bridge of Hope and Milagro House are both agencies that assist single mother families in Lancaster and Chester Counties with securing housing and ending homelessness.
- Clare House in Lancaster County is a shelter for single mother families.
- Love INC is a network of Lancaster County churches that provide housing and transportation assistance. They also make referrals to other services.
- The Women's Opportunity Resource Center (WORC) is a Philadelphia-based nonprofit that provides women and their families in economic distress with financial resources and incentive savings programs.
- American Consumer Credit Counseling can provide assistance with managing debt. They also provide bankruptcy and credit counseling.
- The Simple Dollar's Guide to Financial Independence for Women provides a step-by-step introduction to securing and maintaining financial independence. It includes practical budgeting, spending, and saving tips that women can use to organize their finances.